Friday, September 26, 2008

The American's 100 Foods You Should Eat

I love lists! :) Here's another one from Slashfood:

The American Omnivore's Hundred
  1. New York pizza- at Lombardi's, too thin of a crust for my tastes!
  2. Hoppin' John- huh?
  3. New Mexico green chile
  4. Homemade buttermilk biscuits- no but I want to make it!
  5. Tasso
  6. Whole Maine lobster- I want to catch my own!
  7. Calabash-style shrimp and hushpuppies
  8. Kansas City barbecue ribs- didn't drive through Kansas on our trip...but I see no reason to ever go there unless you were driving through
  9. Hot glazed Krispy Kreme
  10. San Diego fish tacos
  11. Cheese curds- eww, cheese
  12. Key lime pie- yum!!
  13. Philly cheese steak- yes, at Pat's on our road trip
  14. Memphis pork barbecue sandwich
  15. Lowcountry boil- huh?
  16. Huckleberry pie
  17. New England clam chowder- in Boston
  18. Boiled peanuts
  19. Buffalo burger- in Toronto, does that count?
  20. Eggs Benedict- I usually order this at any breakfast place, but with the hollandaise sauce on the side, otherwise it's too rich
  21. Pastrami on rye-at Carnegies in NYC
  22. Corned beef and cabbage- Jerry made it in the crockpot
  23. Pancakes with maple syrup
  24. Everything bagel with cream cheese and tomato
  25. Thin Mints (preferably frozen)
  26. Frito pie- yes, at the Big Texan!! Sooooo good!
  27. Potato knish with mustard
  28. Silver Queen corn on the cob
  29. Soft pretzel from a street cart
  30. Fresh-picked blueberries
  31. Sourwood honey
  32. State fair funnel cake- I need to go at night so eating fried stuff will seem more appetizing!
  33. Chesapeake crab cake- I saw this on the Food Network! Must try!
  34. Candied yams
  35. Oyster dressing
  36. Snow cone or snowball
  37. Wild Alaskan salmon
  38. Sautéed morels
  39. Persimmon pudding- I love persimmon so this sounds tasty...I think...
  40. General Tso's Chicken
  41. Frozen custard- yes at Ted Drewes in St. Louis!
  42. Italian sausage with peppers and onions on a hoagie bun
  43. Chili dog
  44. Buffalo wings with blue cheese
  45. Spam musubi- the ones at 7-11 in Hawai'i are the best :)
  46. Saltwater taffy
  47. Fluffernutter sandwich on Wonder Bread
  48. Black and white cookie- I just saw a post on this in my google reader!
  49. Frybread- Again, on our x-country road trip, this time at a gas station in Arizona.
  50. BLT with thick-cut applewood bacon
  51. Baked beans
  52. Pumpkin pie
  53. Collards with vinegar and Tabasco
  54. Tex-Mex fajitas with skirt steak and sautéed peppers
  55. Fried green tomatoes
  56. Succotash
  57. Shrimp and grits
  58. Hot water cornbread
  59. Barbecue chicken pizza with red onions- does it count if I pick out all the onions? Hehe.
  60. Chicken fried steak- mmm, smothered with gravy.
  61. Carnitas burrito
  62. Apple butter
  63. Geoduck
  64. Soft-serve ice cream cone dipped in chocolate shell (especially Dairy Queen)
  65. Pecan pie
  66. Catfish supper at a church or fire station
  67. Oysters Rockefeller
  68. Homemade cranberry sauce
  69. Pimiento cheese
  70. MoonPie washed down with R.C. Cola
  71. Pickled watermelon rind
  72. Cracker Jacks at the ball game
  73. Smithfield ham
  74. Meatloaf and mashed potato blue plate special at diner
  75. Chicken and waffles- We only eat at Roscoes when we don't have a choice
  76. Po'Boy
  77. Green bean casserole with French's fried onions
  78. Stuffed sopaipillas- in New Mexico...mmm
  79. Turducken
  80. Shad roe on toast
  81. Sweet potato casserole with or without marshmallows
  82. Cioppino- this doesn't sound American but I just wikied it and apparently it has its origins in SF. Should try it next time we go home to visit.
  83. New York cheesecake
  84. Pan-fried river trout
  85. Jambalaya
  86. North Carolina pig pickin'
  87. California rolls
  88. Burgoo
  89. Penuche fudge
  90. Fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (the Elvis)
  91. Scrapple or livermush
  92. Elk medallions in red wine reduction
  93. Muscadine grapes
  94. Cheeseburger at backyard barbecue
  95. Open-face turkey sandwich
  96. Chicago deep dish pizza
  97. Cobb salad
  98. Peach pie a la mode
  99. Macaroni and cheese with Tillamook sharp cheddar
  100. Root beer float
I guess I'm not really American...only 34 out of 100! And many of these items I only ate b/c of my road trip. Some of these foods I have no desire to eat, ewww.

2 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Do my VNese 100 list. :)

Jeannie said...

I did! It's in my queue :) With so many lists flying around, that OG list is quite the phenomenon!