Finally a non-food thing that I was able to cross off my list! I wanted to attend other films but $11 per film was too pricey! Maybe for the next festival.
Made in L.A.
USA, 2007, 70 min
In English and Spanish with Spanish subtitles and with English subtitles
Directed By: Almudena Carracedo
Producers: Robert Bahar, Almudena Carracedo
Cinematographer: Almudena Carracedo
Editors: Lisa Leeman, Almudena Carracedo
Music: Joseph Julian Gonzalez
In 1946, French poet René Char wrote, “He who joined the Resistance, found himself.” Something similar happens to the garment workers in this documentary when they embark on a three-year odyssey to win basic labor protections from mega-trendy clothing retailer Forever 21. This intimate, vérité-style film chronicles the lives of three Latina workers—Maura, Maria, and Lupe—who came to the U.S. looking for opportunities and instead find themselves working 14-hour days under soul-crushing conditions in the sweatshops of L.A.'s Fashion District.
Their world opens up when they become plaintiffs in a lawsuit organized by the nonprofit Garment Workers Center. Initially the women are euphoric to be part of something bigger than themselves—manning bullhorns in front of the Beverly Center, speaking on college campuses, visiting the Tenement Museum in New York where they discover they are heirs to a 100-year-old fight—and rhythmically choreographed editing gives us a visceral sense of both the tedium of the sewing machine and the exhilaration of protest. But the women's resolve begins to falter as their struggle drags on for years with no results, causing rifts in their families and endangering their precarious livelihoods. Filmmaker Almudena Carracedo perseveres with them, allowing the viewer to experience the tremendous courage it takes to bring about real political change.
- Theresa Schwartzman
USA, 2007, 70 min
In English and Spanish with Spanish subtitles and with English subtitles
Directed By: Almudena Carracedo
Producers: Robert Bahar, Almudena Carracedo
Cinematographer: Almudena Carracedo
Editors: Lisa Leeman, Almudena Carracedo
Music: Joseph Julian Gonzalez
In 1946, French poet René Char wrote, “He who joined the Resistance, found himself.” Something similar happens to the garment workers in this documentary when they embark on a three-year odyssey to win basic labor protections from mega-trendy clothing retailer Forever 21. This intimate, vérité-style film chronicles the lives of three Latina workers—Maura, Maria, and Lupe—who came to the U.S. looking for opportunities and instead find themselves working 14-hour days under soul-crushing conditions in the sweatshops of L.A.'s Fashion District.
Their world opens up when they become plaintiffs in a lawsuit organized by the nonprofit Garment Workers Center. Initially the women are euphoric to be part of something bigger than themselves—manning bullhorns in front of the Beverly Center, speaking on college campuses, visiting the Tenement Museum in New York where they discover they are heirs to a 100-year-old fight—and rhythmically choreographed editing gives us a visceral sense of both the tedium of the sewing machine and the exhilaration of protest. But the women's resolve begins to falter as their struggle drags on for years with no results, causing rifts in their families and endangering their precarious livelihoods. Filmmaker Almudena Carracedo perseveres with them, allowing the viewer to experience the tremendous courage it takes to bring about real political change.
- Theresa Schwartzman
Sat, Jun 23 / Noon
Mann Festival Theatre
FREE
Mann Festival Theatre
FREE
Afterwards, most of the cast came out for some Q&A.
I really enjoyed this documentary b/c I can relate to it on some level. Growing up, I remember my mom sewing from 6am to 8pm everyday, 7 days a week to make the bare minimum for us to live on because she refused to go on welfare or use food stamps. Then when I was in 6th grade, I started to help her with the piecework. I hated it, but I sucked it up and helped her sew all the way through high school. I figured that the more I did to help out, the less my mom had to do. Even though my mom worked incredibly hard, she rarely complained (even though I did!). I think she figured that working from home was better than being in the factories. At least my mom had a fair boss who actually paid her and didn't try to cheat her with broken promises. Even then, he would offer her ridiculous prices for completed items and hearing my mom try to bargain with him to give her 5 more cents per piece made my blood boil b/c GEEZ it's ONLY A NICKEL MORE AND HE'S SUPER RICH ANYWAY! So on some level, I'm sure my mom can relate with the women in the documentary, except that they had it way worse than she ever had. And workers should not even have it this hard AT ALL. Sigh. At least they were able to settle with Forever 21. But what about all the other workers out there??
I also interned at the Garment Worker Center back in college. It was really interesting to see the campaign from behind the scenes. I remember helping to make signs for the Forever 21 march at 3rd St. Promenade except that my signs weren't as creative as the workers.
Ooh red carpet! Thanks to Cam's friend for saving us seats. :)
Ooh yeah, Made in L.A. is going to be shown on PBS on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 at 10PM (90 minutes). Be sure to mark your calendars! I want my mom to watch it.
2 comments:
Eastern time too?
I'd like to watch more than one movie... if only it didn't freaking cost $11/movie!
Post a Comment