Sunday, January 30, 2011

11 for 2011: Watch a Movie on the Big Screen

Jerry hadn't been to a drive-in movie theater since he moved to LA, so we headed to the Pacific Theaters Vineland Drive-In over the weekend.  (The one he used to go to as a kid is now a Walmart, how crappy!)  It's minutes away from where I grew up, and I never knew it was there until about 5 years ago!  I had been eyeballing the list all month (it changes every Friday).  What is really neat is that if you call the number, the recording will give you the exact playing times for each movie.  We found out that on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, not only can you watch a doubleheader, but they'll replay the first movie again!  So if you time it correctly, you can pretty much watch 3 movies for $8.50 pp.

Which is exactly what we did.  I made sure that I wouldn't fall asleep by grabbing 2 samples of Lee's coffee from the market, and we brought LARGE sizes of boba milk tea AND boba green tea.  I rarely ever upgrade my drink to a large size unless we're going splitsies, but I knew that I had to take drastic measures if I was going to stay up 4 hours past my bedtime.  :P

We ended up watching No Strings Attached, 15 minutes of Little Fockers, The Fighter, and The Mechanic.  It was a bit tough to watch 3 movies in a row, but I think it would have been worse if we were in an actual theater (seriously, how do movie hoppers do it??).  It was nice to sit back, put my feet up, and get fresh air/visit the restroom without squeezing through an aisle of tangled legs and feet.  My eyes didn't feel tired since we parked further back, and I actually preferred the lack of surround sound- Jerry had a portable FM radio which we used instead of the car radio.  In case you're curious, the only movie that was worth its money was The Fighter.  Christian Bale was excellent, and I love how Amy Adams is expanding her roles.  This is probably the first time in years that I will have seen an Oscar nominated movie...before the Oscars.  No Strings Attached was as fluffy as expected...and The Mechanic had Jason Statham in it- all action, no substance.  (We <3 Jason Statham for different reasons.)

A random thought: we had our radio frequency set to the start of the next movie, but the credits for Green Hornet were still running...and Jay Chou was rapping.  In Chinese.  I was probably the only person in the whole lot thinking that he should go back to making this kind of music instead of rapping. 

1 down, 10 to go! 

No comments: