In my capacity as a student leader in HS, a community organizer post college, and now an organizing trainer, I've facilitated and participated in my share of icebreakers. They tend to blend together, but yesterday's icebreaker really struck a chord in me.
It was really simple. We all had to go around the room and name one thing that we think no one in the room has ever done before. If someone has done it, they'll raise their hand, and you'll have to come up with another one. It was a fantastic and fun way to get to know everyone outside of their "work-shell." Having done this activity twice (I had to participate in both sessions, while almost everyone else only attended one), it got me thinking that I really have not done anything all that unique or crazy. Well, crazy-to-me.
Here were some responses from my peers:
I ate a scorpion.
I ate a toucan. (We learned that the beak is hollow)
I cooked tarantulas in a restaurant kitchen in Phnom Phen and served them. (He proceeded to tell us what they tasted like. Cheese!! Ewwww!!!)
I drank champagne with Maya Angelou. (How could I top that with "Mila Kunis asked me if this seat was taken?" True story, happened in college.)
I ran for political office in New Mexico.
I almost drowned in the Colorado River while kayaking.
I spent a year backpacking in _____ (name a country that you most likely wouldn't see a Travelzoo Top 20 deal for).
I went to the Soviet Union 3 times (well, no one can do that anymore...)
I played ____ (insert musical instrument) and performed in _____ (famous venue).
Etc.
Here was my morning response:
"I climbed Half Dome."
A guy raises his hand.
"I ate at Club 33 in Disneyland."
4 people raised their hands!
"Okay fine, I went snorkeling in Fiji."
Boring, but whatever, no one raised their hands.
Afternoon:
"I've been to the Racetracks in Death Valley."
My coworker raised his hand, grrr. We then proceed to tell everyone how awesome the Racetrack is.
"I have been to Canada 7 times."
A girl raises her hand.
"I've hugged a kangaroo in Sydney."
The guy at my table raises his hand.
"Fine, I went SNORKELING IN FIJI."
My colleague: "Well, Jeannie can say that she's gone 27 years without eating a frozen dinner." (I shared this fact over lunch)
The only time that I raised my hand for someone else was when a colleague mentioned that she had auditioned and participated in the Vagina Monologues in college.
I guess maybe there were other unique things that I had done that my colleagues hadn't, but it didn't really come to mind at the time. Anyways, it was a really neat icebreaker and it's inspired me to make more of an effort to try new things out of my comfort zone!
What would you have said during the icebreaker?
No comments:
Post a Comment