Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Feel Awkward When...

*People who I used to be close to now act cold to me.  Awkward...because I feel the fake-niceness when we're in public.
*People I know go through something negative.  How often do you bring it up and ask them how they are doing?  Or should you give them space and not talk to them for a while?  Would it be inappropriate to talk about something completely unrelated and totally downplay the situation in efforts to cheer them up?
*I get solicited for proofreading and the writing is just terrible- very basic and elementary.  And grown-ups don't take constructive criticism very well...
*Someone asks me if they bought me a gift.  No, not if I received a gift that they had bought.  Rather, they aren't sure if they bought anything in the first place and would like for me to confirm.  Faux pas on all levels.
*When people ask me multiple times to remind them to bring me a gift they had bought me.  Unless you're grandma with memory problems, I don't think it's appropriate of me to chase after my own present again and again.
*Someone on a higher level than me spells my name blatantly wrong.  Should I just not bother correcting them?   
*People who choose to be unemployed because they didn't like where they worked and are looking for something better, and in the interim, they make snide remarks about how wonderful it must be for you at your new job.  At they do it to you at a wedding.  In front of other guests.  And you awkwardly try to diffuse the attitude by brushing off your new job like it's nothing, but really, you actually worked your butt off for it and are quite happy.  Is it worth it to show confidence in front of other people who are Debbie Downers?
*People who whine about not having money, and then they brag about spending money on something that's non essential or beyond their means, and you're stuck there fake smiling and nodding at what a wonderful purchase it was.
*People who whine about not having money, but they still spend $4 on their morning coffee, $8 for their lunch, and $10 for dinner takeaway because "I don't like cooking for 1."  So they'd rather spend for 3?
*The same people short the group bill every time...for the last decade.  Everyone knows it's them, but no one wants to say anything, so people awkwardly reach twice for their wallet throw in more money to cover the difference, while the bill-shorters just pretend to be oblivious to what's going on.
*Someone attributes my success to pure luck.  And it's very awkward to explain to people that it's actually hard work because some people only hear what they want to hear.   
*I purchase or plan something pricey and fun...and I can't really share it with many people because I know that they are sensitive about money, and will not be happy for me, but rather will make comments about how lucky I am.  I have continuously been employed since I was 15 and have been saving for retirement since I was 21.  Money didn't grow on any of MY trees...But how to explain that to people who still depend on their parents or loans to fund their lifestyle?  There are so few people left in this world who are genuinely happy for others.  I can probably count the ones I am friends with all on my left hand.   

Okay maybe some of these things also annoy me in addition to making me feel awkward.  :)   What makes you feel awkward?  I guess anything that involves finances and gifts makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.  If only I could go back to the days when splitting your pants open during recess in front of the entire 5th grade while doing a Power Ranger kick was embarrassing.  Life's just not that simple anymore.

1 comment:

Christina :) said...

I think it all boils down to consideration. I don't know if I believe that people are oblivious. I think many times, they just continue to act inconsiderate because no one calls them on it.

It's interesting (but not surprising) that so many items on your list are related to money. I applaud people who manage to stomach those people who consistently short the bill. The only way I can even think to salvage it is if you pick up the check and say, "Okay, this is how much you owe."

I think you should be able to enjoy your purchases. You know what they say, you can't take it with you to the grave. I'm rather surprised that even though we're approaching 30, there are an amazing number of people who have next to nil in savings & are living paycheck to paycheck. I think more parents need to make their children responsible for paying for their own cell phone bills & manage their own loans.

Sorry for such a long comment!