I'm floored by the plethora of ideas and inspiration out there. I'm also overwhelmed. I've bookmarked hundreds and hundreds of tutorials, tips, and templates and I haven't made the time to sit down to sift through them all. But I've made some goals for this long weekend: I will clean out my starred reader items this weekend. Serious!! I'm also planning on cleaning out my closets. I will also clean out our DVR of all its No Reservations reruns. I'm a pretty ambitious person, you see.
Speaking of ambitious, here's another wedding DIY that I want to add to our growing to-do list:
Via MS Weddings
I'm thinking of incorporating this for the kids, to keep them occupied throughout the event. I think some of the kids will probably be bored with it at some point during the wedding, but it has the potential to engage enough kids that hopefully we'll end up some fun and creative shots! On more than one occasion I've handed off my old Olympus C7000, our former XTi, and our current D300 to my cousins and about 1 out of every 10 pictures come out pretty decent...or interesting. Kids have unique angles and ways of seeing things. I'm not all too concerned with the quality of the pictures, I'm more concerned with keeping them busy and maybe getting something fun out of it!
Next step: find a great deal on disposable cameras! We're only looking to buy btwn 15 and 20 of them. There should be around 25-30 kids that will be coming, but some of them are quite young so maybe I'll give them some boxes to play with. (Just kidding.) (Have you noticed that kids younger than 4 are more interested in the wrapping paper and boxes than the actual gift?) I'd like a disposable camera with less than 20 exposures, but most seem to come with 27, and for some reason the ones with 15 exposures are more expensive?!
Step #2: jazzing up the cameras. I found this great tutorial on Weddingbee for camera casing templates from Miss Cola. Since we aren't making that many, I don't see this step being too labor intensive. I also, want to build on that idea and create a camera "strap" for the kids to hold around their necks. I think it could be as simple as inserting eyelets on each side, and then knotting some sturdy ribbon through them. We'll see :) Kids tend to set things down and they'll run around, thus losing whatever they had before, so I want to take even another step further and label each camera with their respective names. That way, we'll know which shots came from which kid!
Step #3: creating the I Spy Cards. This is a really nice template from MS, but I think I'd like to adapt it to our wedding colors, and I'd probably change the font as well as the size. This font is really cute, but not that readable for a 6 year old. Also, the colors are pretty, but too light for readability, esp as the sun goes down. I'd also like to change some of the items as well. Mrs. Bee came up with this humongous list that I will definitely be drawing inspiration from!
Step #4: buy mini pencils. I'm trying to think of a way for the kids to hold onto their pencils and I Spy Cards. Those little pencils are great for small hands, but I know they'll lose them. I may have Jerry drill a small hole in the pencil, and then I'll run a piece of string through them and attach it to either the camera or of the I Spy card. But as I progress with this project I'm sure I'll come up something.
That was the only picture I could find. I guess drilling holes in pencils isn't a popular thing to do!
Okay. One step at a time.
edit: I just had a thought. Will kids even know how to use a disposable camera!? What if they want to "see" the image after it's been taken, b/c that's what they are familiar with? Ahhh to grow up in the 2000s. :) Oh well, they'll learn. :P
edit: I just had a thought. Will kids even know how to use a disposable camera!? What if they want to "see" the image after it's been taken, b/c that's what they are familiar with? Ahhh to grow up in the 2000s. :) Oh well, they'll learn. :P


4 comments:
A fun disposable camera story:
Our first encounter with a disposable camera was a mail-in deal with Cinnamon Toast Crunch boxes (I was like 6). After we got it, Edward and I took lots of pictures and got to the end of the roll of film. My mom was like, What do you do with it now?? Where does the film go? And then she opened the box/camera. And then took it to the store to get the film developed. Yeah, that didn't work out so well.
we can go to ikea and take all their small little pencils.
Awwwwesssoommee idea!!! Kids love to take pictures. Even if they can't see the results right away. Most of the pictures will probably come out to be identifiable macro shots from the littler ones. But I've seen 4 year olds have fun with the camera. They just like pushing the button and saying they took pictures. haha
Maybe you can make the list shorter and smaller and glue it to the camera casing so that they don't need to carry another item around? What is the pencil for? They are definitely gonna lose the pencils. I like Jerry's idea. hahaha
Now I see why you sent me that link. Very creative!! I like the idea a lot. Maybe you can use velcro to stick the pencil and card together? Or, if they return the card + pencil, they get a piece of candy =D I am down with Jerry's idea, go to Ikea and take their small survey pencils. I can help.....lol
Post a Comment