Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend Brain Dump, Nth Edition

Friday night:
I came home, still pissed about the sheer stupidity of people in the office.  We made fun of people at the gym who like to stretch by put their stinky and dirty sneakered feet all over the treadmill (where the hands for heart rate/towels go!).  The good thing about going to the gym is that even though I get there in a really bad mood, I usually leave in a much better mood because the bad mood enables me to have a more intense workout.  My throat was tickling a bit and I decided that the one thing that was going to fix it was Korean cold noodles (naeng myun) so we headed to Torrance to try out a new-to-us Korean place that I found on Yelp, Guh Mok.  I was pleasantly surprised!  The banchan were varied and better than I had expected.  Jerry got the beef soon dobu which was standard (wasn't spicy at all though, I think we have to ask for it to be spicy) and my beloved cold noodle was slushy and soothing.  I was happy and satisfied.  And Jerry was probably just glad that I got over my grumpy mood.  Came home and watched Monster-in-Law on the DVR.  Bad wedding movie #1, though I love Michael Vartan and Jerry likes Wanda Sykes.

Saturday:
I woke up early as usual (damn internal alarm clock) and decided to do some photo organizing and basic editing (meaning, less wordy future blog posts!).  I was on a productive roll until Jerry woke up.  We decided to get our workout out of the way in the morning so off to the gym it was.  I was in a good mood so my workout was kind of uninspired, haha.  We came home and Jerry did some car maintenance while I prepped lunches for the work week.  I've been using the Crockpot more this month and I had forgotten how fantastic it is!   I finished the rest of the photo editing and uploading over License to Wed while Jerry took a nap.  Bad wedding movie #2, though I love John Krasinki. Mandy Moore and Robin Williams grated in that movie though.  Afterwards, we got ready to head over to my parents.   Any trip to SGV is an excuse to stock up on food.  Stop #1 was Kiki Bakery for my beloved taro bun.  But I was surprised to see that the name changed to Momo Bakery!  What the heck right?  But the lady told me that even though the name changed the pastries are still the same, so I was able to nab the last taro bun in the store. Stop #2 was for our usual green tea with boba and pudding milk tea.  Stop #3 was Banh Mi Che Cali for che (yummy Vietnamese desserts), the buy-2-get-1 free banh mi and some baguettes to munch on throughout the week.  (Last night we steamed some crawfish and ate it with the plain bread- so satisfying!).  Stop #4 was for Asian groceries.  I just don't like buying fruits and veggies from places like Ralphs.  The variety is not the same and the prices aren't even comparable!  Then we headed back to my parents' house and I got to try on the wedding qi pao/cheong sam that my mom had made for me in Vietnam!  Actually my mom ordered 2 for me and luckily they both fit and the colors are great.  A post on that coming up later!  Then we head for stop #5 which was Luscious Dumplings.  I was craving niu rou mian and pan fried dumplings and this place hit the spot.  Everyone else enjoyed it as well!  I really wanted stop #6 to be Phoenix Bakery (it's in the same plaza!!)...but that's when Jerry drew the line and said we had enough food.  Yeah, I guess he was right.  I don't know what I would do w/o my food portion controller.

Sunday:
I woke up at five-freaking-fifty-freaking-eight-freaking-AM.  Ugh.  I can't sleep in on the weekends for the life of me!!  But I can't complain because I did sleep my usual 7+ hours so maybe I should start sleeping later if I want to wake up later?  I don't know.  Jerry woke up not that much later and we decided to go for a nice run outside.  I like going to the gym, but I always jump at the chance to get some fresh air!  We ran from Manhattan Beach pier to the Hermosa pier.  It was beautiful outside and we got really lucky with free parking that was close by.  On our way back to the car we stopped by Noah's Bagels for a post run snack and we stood right next to Kerri Walsh!  That was pretty neat.  By golly that woman is tall!  We came home and I did laundry while Jerry washed my car and changed my cabin air filter.  One had lots of bird crap on it and other had lots of dust.  BM JT came over and we headed out for some lunch and then dress shopping.  I took her to the Mitsuwa food court- one of my favorite places to get my grub on.  The food stalls are cheap, varied, and delicious! Then we set out to try every dark blue dress there was.  It was tiring and though BM JT didn't buy anything, I think it was still successful b/c she was able to get a better idea of the styles out there.  I also bought templates for our wedding invites at Tuesday Morning.  I know, the junkiest store out there, and yet I was able to find such a treasure!  They still need a lot of DIY-TLC but I'm glad I don't have to start from scratch.  After she left, Jerry and I steamed some crawfish and I watched The Wedding Planner.  Bad movie #3.  I know, what's up with me and bad wedding movies?  Well, I like to browse upcoming show listings for stations such as Lifetime, TBS, and TNT.  They usually show movies on the weekends so I end up watching movies about 3 years after they come out in the theater.  They're movies that I wouldn't pay $8 for, but that I wouldn't mind giving 2 brainless hours of my life to.  Anyways, The Wedding Planner was a terrible movie but I love Judy Greer.  She really needs to headline her own movie.

So that was my weekend in a very large nutshell- fun, food, fitness, and films.

No comments: