Friday, January 1, 2010

The Babysitters' Club Rebirth

Something that I've carried on from my child-to-adult hood is my love of reading for pleasure.  Some of my earliest reading memories include the Pee Wee Scouts series by Judy Delton and the Polk Street School series by Patricia Reilly Giff.  I soon transitioned to Nancy Drews (Carolyn Keene + ghostwriters) and the Anastasia Series (Lois Lowry) and haven't stopped since.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see this article pop up in my google reader!
Comeback Planned for Girls' Book Series
I loved, loved, loved the Babysitter's Club Series when I was growing up.  Go ahead and judge me, ha!   I have no shame in admitting that my alter-"BSC member"-ego was a bit of Claudia (the Nancy Drews), a dash of Mary Anne (overprotective parent), and the rest Kristy (overachiever).  I never felt cool enough to be Stacy or Dawn.  :)  I'd get really excited when I was able to find a new one at the library and I would read during school, after school, straight through dinner, and under the covers with a flashlight until I'd finish.  And then I'd start a new one the next day.  With over 200 books and spinoffs, no wonder my eyesight grew increasingly worse over the years! :)

I was sad to hear that the books have been out of print for over a decade now (luckily I've been collecting ragged copies at book sales for years now), but am excited at the relaunching of the series for the up-and-coming generation of tween readers.  Some future mothers are excited about handing down their jewels or family heirlooms to their daughters.  Other mothers save their wedding dresses in hopes their daughters will wear them one day.  Me?  In this generation of fabricated vampires, wizards, and gossip girls, I hope to still be able to introduce them to Nancy Drew, the BCS Club, Anastasia Krupnik, Beezus and Ramona Quimby, Henry Huggins, Fudge, Homer Price, etc, etc, ETC!  :)

What were the books of your childhood/tween years?

No comments: