Sunday, April 22, 2007

Escondido Falls, Malibu


This time we went hiking at Escondido Falls, Malibu. It was so much fun! :)
The hikers: Reggie, Dawn, Christina, Ann, Cam

The 4.2 mile hike starts off at the base of PCH. You park in this small lot that's right off Winding Way East and then you make your way up on a paved road- passing a bunch of super nice houses for roughly a mile. You'll see an obvious dirt path where the real hiking starts. At the beginning it's quite flat; then you'll encounter a handful of creek crossings. Then it gets a little steeper but it's quite manageable for a weak-sauce newbie like me. Finally you'll reach the base of the lower falls. That's where I saw this froggy:

This is at the base of the lower falls, which were about 50ft high.


We brought yummy foods: vietnamese sandwiches, spring rolls, pineapples and grapes, and Dawn made this yummy azuki bean jello. It really hit the spot!


Then we decided to do some rock scrambling to get to the upper falls. Doesn't it look like a hairy monster ghost in this shot? But in person it's actually quite beautiful and peaceful. We were the first ones there, so we had the whole place to ourselves.


So lush and peaceful! It was a good thing it rained earlier b/c it made it even nicer!


Dawn brought her dog Reggie. He was so excited on the whole hike!


So everyone was laughing at me b/c I kind of got stuck on the side of the wall and didn't wanna move 'cause I was scared I was gonna slip and fall into the super shallow creek, haha. But I finally made it over to the tree trunk and it didn't seem high at all! Then Dawn and Cam crossed over too and made it look effortless. :P


On our way back I stopped to take this picture. This flower is so pretty! I love how the purple bleeds into the white.

Here are the rest of my pictures. Next time I want to climb to the very top of the upper falls!

1 comment:

Christina :) said...

my fave part of the hike was when you were hanging onto the rock and you wouldnt move for forever and you werent even that high up! hahahaha. but im glad you made it! dont you feel accomplished?

im so glad you picked up hiking too! :D i love seeing new animals. the froggy was so cool! :D