Sunday, March 11, 2007

Happy Tummies at the Noodle House

As a creature of habit, I usually go to the same restaurants and order the same items on the menu, esp if I am with ppl who have never been to that restaurant. That's partly b/c I want to make sure that they enjoy their meal- tried and true for me, so I feel comfy recommending it, ya know? The problem is, I never get to try anything new!


But finally I got to go to a new restaurant! Since we wanted something close to Arcadia mall because we had tix to watch 300 later that night, and I wasn't really in the mood to eat along Valley, I decided that we'd go to Noodle House based on some reviews like this one and this one.

Definitely the right choice! :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


Pan cake with Green Onion (cong you bing)
Perfect combination of chewy and flaky. It had onions, guys, and I still ate it! They also give you this garlic infused soy sauce to dip it with. YUMS! See, I CAN eat garlic and onions...sometimes.


Meat Fried Steamed Bun (xian rou shui jian bao)
Omfg these are the best I've ever had...better than at J&Js. The bun was soft but not soggy...the bottom was crispy thin but not overcooked. The ground pork was juicy! Ahh...I think I ate like the majority of them...sorry for hogging it all Nikolaj! :P


Beef Noodle Soup (niu rou mian)
Spicy! In a good way though. The noodles are handmade...and mixed with a tiny bit of veggies, hence the greenish color. The beef was tender. The broth hit the spot! Some bok choy and crunchy perserved veggies were laid on top also.

To top it off, we had iced tea flavored with dates. Perfect flavor to accompany our meal! Bill: $17.88 before tip. Definitely not shabby at all.

Noodle House
46 W. Las Tunas Drive
Arcadia, CA 91007
(626) 821-2088 and (626) 821-0668

Hours:
Closed Mondays
Tues-Thurs: 10am-9pm
Fri-Sun: 7am-9pm

Who wants to go back with me? I'm determined to try out most of the menu!

*edit
So Nancy went with me today, yay!


Shanghai Fried Noodle (shang hai zhu chao mian)

This was basically shang hai nian gao. It's much better at J&J. It wasn't as chewy and "meaty" but rather sticky and lumpy. Well, maybe it's because I just got my braces re-adjusted? :D


Ten Jin Pan Cake (tian jin jian bing guo zi)

This is basically a "you tiao" wrapped in an egg/something else wrapper. Btwn the dough stick and the wrapper is a layer of hoisen sauce we think, along with cilantro and green onions. It was very interesting! A bit too oily for me, but it was good to try! I also scraped off some of the green onions. It was too raw for me. :P
This is how LA Weekly describes it:

"The automatic accompaniment is a long, twisted cruller fried to order, unless you are persuaded to get the Tian Jim pancake instead — the same cruller smeared with bean sauce, sprinkled with scallions and wrapped in a thin pancake that is in turn washed with scrambled egg, like a Bombay-style frankie. A cruller burrito may seem a bit much at 7:30 in the morning, but with soy milk the pancake is exactly right. The combination of salty and sweet, crunchy and chewy, coronary-inspiring yin and artery-clearing yang is just this side of perfect."

Yeah, it was something like that. Haha. Ok, who's going to Noodle House with me next?? :)

2 comments:

Regina said...

I'm so proud of you, my little garlic/onion eater! =)

Christina :) said...

wow you must REALLY like this place to be eating it two days in a row! yay we're going to convert you into a garlic/onion eater just as regina alluded. mwahahahahaha. yay! then there wont be so much complaining with my cooking :P we have been getting quite lazy on these cooking nights. almost time to don our aprons?