Sunday, October 2, 2011

11 for 2011: Fly a Kite

Jerry likes to make fun of me for not having much of a childhood.  It's kind of true.  Growing up without siblings or a second parent (my mom raised me all by herself!!), I had to forgo certain childhood traditions.  For example I never went trick-or-treating as a kid.  I didn't get my first bike until I was 11, and I had to teach myself how to ride...sans training wheels.  I never saw snow until I was an adult.  Forget about sleepovers or going to the movies, and while my friends were playing outside, I had to do all the chores/cooking while my mom worked.  I also had to help my mom sew at least a dozen hours a week from middle school until college.  I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing have grown up this way.  It's certainly shaped me to be who I am today.  And, as a kid, I got to travel to a lot of places around the world (post to come later!)  However, once in a while I get these pangs of having missed out on certain things that would have been pretty awesome as a kid.  For example, kite flying.  So for my birthday Jerry bought me a kite, and we finally flew it last month!  (Like my biking outfit? I didn't bother to take off my helmet cus then I'd have to readjust my hair, and its annoying to do it twice, so I'll dorkily wear my helmet while not riding.) Okay, it's pretty fun as an adult, but I think as a kid it would have felt more magical.  :) I can't wait someday to introduce our kids to kite flying.
Check out this list of kite festivals around the world.
5 down, 6 to go!

No comments: