Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Produce

We get our produce from a variety of ethnic markets, friends/family trees, and also farmers market.  Once in a while we will sell our soul to Ralphs when they have a really good deal.  I do agree that farmers market produce can be superior in quality and taste, but we cook dinner nearly everyday and I make all our work lunches the weekend beforehand, so really, $3/lb for broccoli every week doesn't make sense to me when I can get it for $0.50/lb.  Once in a while we'll splurge and buy high quality potatoes for mashed potatoes.  Man, I never knew the merits of a really good potato.  Now I know.  Same goes for avocado/guac.
Torrance Farmer's Market
We currently are stocked with plums, peaches, nectarines, red grapes, bananas, and pears.  Yum!  With the exception of seeded watermelon, I much prefer stone fruits over melons when it comes to summer fruit fare.  I really enjoy how fruit tastes from the farmer's market and I like supporting local businesses, so I try to contribute whenever I can.  This time however, all our fruit came from Valu +, Costco, and Food 4 Less.  I don't want to turn into a fruit snob!  Since I eat fruit 2-3 times a day...I can't afford to be snobby or picky. :P

Although if I had all the money in the world I would eat gaviota strawberries as snacks all summer long.  They smell AND taste good!

No comments: