Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ngu Binh Restaurant

Every since we started dating, Jerry jokes about how he's "never eaten so many spring rolls in my [his] whole life!"  I'd say that's true.  It's one of the easier meals to put together if you have basic ingredients in your pantry, and it's very versatile b/c there's no limits to what you can roll up (though I prefer my childhood standby of pork belly, shrimp & chinese sausage).  Though easily made at home, we like to order it as an appetizer at restaurants as well.   And I can't count how many times I've been to Phong Dinh.  That place is really delish!

But it was time for him to try something new.

Enter, Ngu Binh.  Though our usual standby restaurant in OC is Brodard for their yummy rolls (love the crunchy center and the mystery dipping sauce!) I have really been wanting to introduce Jerry to other types of Vietnamese cuisine that went beyond pho, banh mi, and rolls. 
These places are always in strip malls.  Next door was a foot massage place and above looks like a photo place.  There were a few parties ahead of us, so about a 15 min wait.  This is at 2pm on a Saturday so I wonder how busy it was at noon!  Take-out seems to also be popular here.
The menu is limited and mostly consists of combos and various sizes.  It's nice b/c you're able to try a variety of things!
First up we had #8 banh bot loc. Translucent and shrimpy. Jerry did not like it all that much though, maybe b/c of the texture.  Oh well, more for me!
Next was some banh beo.  This was #11 on the menu.  Topped with shrimp bits, scallions, fried shallots and what seemed to me to be a pork rind.  I think he liked this better.  It was a bit hard to eat though but I like it served in its own little bowl.  On the menu you can order it w/o the dish.  I think it's #12 on the menu.
It was a bit greasy too...but that's how you get it to not stick to the dish.  I've made these before (sans the pork rind) and wouldn't mind attempting it again!
Finally, something Jerry was more familiar with.  It was either a choice between the bun bo hue or the mi quang, but I though Jerry might want something a bit similar to what he's used to.  The #1 (#2 is the smaller bowl) bun bo hue was good but didn't blow me away. I would like to come back and try mi quang next time! 

All this Vietnamese food talk is making me crave some canh chua.  I really should get my mom to teach me.  That and banh xeo are the few things that I never order in a restaurant simply b/c my mom's version is so tasty!

2 comments:

Susan said...

You're a much better Asian than I am, Jeannie! I have all the ingredients for rolls in my pantry and I've made rolls once the whole time I've been in Seattle.

T.P. said...

This post is making me crave banh bot loc and banh beo. I would love for some right now. I have never ordered canh chua at a restaurant before. Is it even worth it? I love my mom's banh xeo too. Yum...banh xeo...