I've worked over 120 hours and have not gotten paid. I've patiently asked when I will get paid through some emails and in person. (I don't badger or send emails every single day, sometimes I let 2 weeks go w/o asking). I've tried to be direct and offer solutions to an efficient way of paying me. But umm...I get criticized for being "curt"? How are my emails curt? What does it matter if they are "curt?" As long as I'm not being a demanding bitch and using foul language for work emails, I should not be criticized for the way I write. It is not professional to tell someone how to write politely. I'd like to see her write an email to Donald Trump telling him to say thank and please. It is her job to do paperwork, she is not doing me a favor. How dare she patronize me:
"I want to be a source of support for you after the whole firing thing. But it has been a little difficult for me to do so because since we’ve been going back and forth about the stipend and payment, I’ve noticed that your e-mails to me are sometimes quite curt. And considering that I was doing the middleman legwork by asking xxxx and xxxx about the process and all the details, I expected more courtesy in your requests. Your e-mails often had no “please” or “thank you,” even after I had done a lot of digging to get an answer from someone about the steps we needed to take. Sometimes, it sounded more like you were telling me to do something instead of asking me for help. I understand that getting paid is always an important and urgent issue, and I realize we have a relationship outside of the office, but I believe that office e-mails should nonetheless observe the usual courtesies. I hope my comments don’t cause any hard feelings, and I hope you understand where I’m coming from and that we can still get along as usual."
Bullshit!!
Here's a record of correspondence:
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM
Subject: internship stipend
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Hey xxxx,
I just talked to xxxx and she said you had my internship stipend details? Can you let me know the amt and how I'll be reimbursed? And what paperwork I need to do? Thanks.
-Jeannie
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:11 PM
Subject: reimbursement for icc
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Hi xxxx,
Any updates on ICC reimbursement? Thanks!
-Jeannie
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: reimbursement for icc
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
I got it, thanks! My name was spelled wrong but I think the bank would be okay with me depositing it. For the longest time, my SSG checks went to Pelmas Terrace, not Delmas Terrace. Luckily the USPS people didn't RTS any check stubs it even though the address was wrong.
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: FW: AANCART stipend
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Okay thanks for letting me know. I thought it would be in installments, but when you said monthly or bimonthly I thought that was even better since I will get paid more consistently. I am okay with getting paid 2K for now and 2K at the end. However, I want it in writing that I will get the rest (2K) at the end of my internship.
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: Reimbursements processed
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Thanks! Yay, I need money. Any news on my stipend reiumbursement?
See you on Wednesday...got a mtg offsite tomorrow with xxxx.
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: Reimbursements processed
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Ok thanks!
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: FW: Increase in Mileage Reimbursement Rate
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Yay, thanks for the update!
I was also wondering, any update on when I'll get part 1 of my stipend?
Thanks!
-Jeannie
From: Jeannie Nguyen <jeanniemails@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: workstudy
To: xx <xxx@ucla.edu>
Hi xxxx,
Thanks for figuring everything out. I'm going to reserve my $667 for winter quarter, so let's go with $667 for fall quarter. Since the $667 is dispersed in the fall, it wouldn't make sense for me to fill out timesheets now. That $667 won't stretch for 10 weeks of the entire quarter either, so what do you propose we do in the meantime and also when that $667 runs out?
I was thinking of a stipend now to cover my summer hours (let's go with that projected half which is $2000, even though I will have worked a little more than half of my stipend by the end of summer), and then in sept when the school year starts and workstudy is dispersed, that workstudy will last around 5 or 6 weeks, and then the remaining balance which is less than half can be given as a stipend at the end.
Let me know if that makes sense.
Ok, so those 7 emails regarding this issue of me getting paid, I've always said thanks.
I've said "thanks" every time. Not "please", but what is this, 1850?
She is sooooo uninvited from my bday party and future wedding (no don't get excited it is not scheduled its years from now but right now I'm so mad I don't care.)
I'm sposed to get 4k for 400 hours. So, they were supposed to give me 2k now, and 2 k at the end. Simple right?
This is how they wanted me to do it:
Hi xxxx,
I just wanted to confirm with you before I mail anything to xxxx…
I talked with Jeannie about hiring her as a UCLA employee in order to use her work study award. The most straightforward way to hire her would be at 20 hours per week for the 20 weeks between now and December 12th – that would equal $4000. Since she has already worked about 120 hours and plans to work less than 20-hours/week during the academic quarter, this method would entail keeping separate track of her hours-worked and hours-paid, and ensuring that the hours balance out in the end.
However, Jeannie would like to get paid right away for the hours she has already worked in June and July. Then when I hire her at UCLA, I’ll have to submit paperwork several times – to change her % time during the school year, to submit a work study job posting request, and to shift her to work study status. The only way I can think to get funds to her quickly for hours already worked would be to have her submit an internship invoice to xxxx. I remember you mentioning that you’d like to minimize the work xxxx has to do, so I wanted to check with you before I take any steps to contact Jackie or submit a New Hire form to xxxx.
Jeannie also mentioned that if using the work study award will only save AANCART $300, it might not be worth the hiring hassle and perhaps submitting invoices to AANCART for the entire amount would be more streamlined. I’m happy to do the processing for either method, but I wanted your okay before proceeding. I know you’re traveling the next few days, but whenever you get a chance, please advise which method of payment you’d prefer. Thank you so much!
Have a good trip,
xxxx
Yeah, she wanted me to lie and pretend I worked certain hours just to make her job easier. Ummm, she's getting paid to do paperwork, no matter how difficult. She is NOT doing me a favor. This is HER JOB. If she is so bent set on being professional in the office, then she should leave her fucking sensitivity out of it.
Jerry suggested I say this:
xxx,
Unfortunately your own interpretations of my professional emails are an overreaction. Your expectation of over-politeness has nothing to do with the fact that my email was assertive and contained a direct request. Everyone has their own interpretation of workplace etiquette and customs. Now, and especially in light of xxx's criticism of excessive chatting between you and I in the office, it's necessary for me to maintain a strictly professional demeanor. I understand and appreciate that you are the middleman for the information, but I have to fight an uphill battle to get this payment processed especially with the way that my payment options have been presented to xxx. (dont actually write this)
People in the office don't understand that this payment is my only source of income for rent and school. I've already worked 120+ hours and over 6 weeks without being paid! By withholding payment for the sake of paperwork convenience, I have no income and will have to look into other options which are putting an unnecessary financial strain on me. This is the reason for the directness in my email. Don't you think that someone should be paid fairly for their hours worked, and not withheld payment because of some extra paperwork?
I hope you understand that this is just a job to me, and has no bearing on our relationship outside of the office. I will continue to perform my work at a high level without interruption.
Jeannie
This was Jerry's option #2 (he was kidding, I think):
| show details 9:34 PM (1 hour ago) |
|
Dearest xxxx,
Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate them and all the hard work you do in the office. Please have a lovely day and always remember that I'll be thinking of you. May the love of Christ brighten your day and touch your soul eternally.
Bestest regards,
Jeannie
That made my smile. Ok, so of course those two emails are on the extreme, so a middle ground would be nice. Or, I Do Nothing.
Ok, consensus is so far that I ignore it. I probably will, because no matter what I say, she'll always be sensitive and defensive. No point in stirring the pot any longer. What do you all think I should have done?

1 comment:
Personally, I hate big, giant elephants in the room (which is what this may become or what your stipend situation has been). So I say you address it in a professional, direct but respectful manner.
Point out that you did use "thanks" and appreciate her efforts. Apologize if there was a misunderstandings (which is a clear difference from apologizing for being in the wrong). You did not have ill intentions or mean to be "curt." You are simply expecting payment for the work you have done in agreement to what was previously discussed. Mention the financial strain and tell her you hope that you will be able to work together to come up with a resolution to this problem.
That is how I would handle it in order to preserve the working relationship (if I had to continue seeing this person). Personally, if I ignored it I might end up having built up resentment. We all handle things differently. If you can just get over it, more power to you.
Post a Comment