Saturday, May 5, 2007

Fish Canyon Falls

Fish Canyon Falls is my new favorite hike!

Because...1) close to my house and easy to find 2) fun trail with lovely spring flowers and shady trees 3) random stuff off the trail to explore...like logs to climb over streams and steps leading to remnants of old cabins 4) not so shabby 80 ft 3 tiered waterfalls

Johnny and I caught the shuttle provided by Vulcan Materials. The shuttle goes through the quarry/mine and drops you off right at the start of the trail. To try to reach the trail otherwise isn't a good idea from what I've read online. Unfortunately, they are only providing shuttle service for the next two Saturdays this month. If I decide to come back again later this month or next I'm going to see if they can shuttle us anyway if we special request it.
I liked this particular trail because it was wide and safe but still interesting enough to engage me. We passed a family along the way and I said: "Ok if that little girl can do it, so can I!" Then we passed another group of people and I said: "Ok if old Asian people can do it, so can I!" Hehe I was right! I didn't fall on my ass this time. :P

Some flowers along the way:


And this funky spiny plant was dangling from the bush.


Every time Johnny and I saw a log across the stream we'd try to balance ourselves and go across it (instead of going the easy way b/c that's not as fun!) On the first couple tries we almost fell but I really surprised myself at my sense of balance.


Here are the waterfalls from far away! There was this middle aged Chinese guy who helped us take this picture. It's amazing how much nicer people are when you speak to them in languages other than English! This guy ran around the trail and took multiple pictures of us b/c he was trying to get the perfect picturesque shot, hehe.


The doode who took this picture obviously cut out the most important part of the photo, which is the WATERFALL. Hello! Oh well.
This is at the base, it was the perfect spot for picnicking. There were maybe a dozen ppl down there and despite that, it was still peaceful and quiet. I'm glad we got an early start because by the time we left, we passed by dozens of ppl who had just arrived at the falls. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if there were so many ppl milling about.


Can you see Johnny? We were trying to find Darlin' Donna Falls but we couldn't tell exactly where the non-trail started. So Johnny decides to scramble up this rocky non-path to see if it led anywhere. He ended up causing a bunch of mini rock slides, of which one big rock bounced off my foot b/c I didn't get out of the way in time! Anyways we stopped trying b/c we were hungry but there's always next time. I really want to take Ann here! Too bad her shift at Frapland starts so damn early.

Here are the rest of the pictures. I didn't get to take as many nice ones b/c I was trying to conserve my battery.
Our next hike is scheduled for South Bay. I can't wait! :)

1 comment:

Regina said...

Wow...I'm so jealous. Those are beautiful falls. I should look for trails out here!