Sunday, December 17, 2006

Where in the world is Indonesia?

I don't know, and that's kinda sad, isn't it? My family stayed at the refugee camps for a couple years on that island but I know almost nothing about that country. I have a general idea of where it is, but it's like having a general idea of where Kentucky is. And instead of pointing at somewhere in the middle of America, in this case it would be some ocean. :P

Anyways, one of the things on my list is to try a new ethnic food. Christina also has it on her 101 list, so we decided to go to Bali Island, a place that her friend recommended to us. Located in a very indescript plaza on Las Tunas right before Mission Dr., we actually drove past it! I've been in that area numerous of times (esp for meals at Tan Cang Newport Seafood Restaurant) but Bali Island never caught my eye. Prolly b/c it's sandwiched in the middle of the plaza.

Anyhoo, we had the appetizer plate and a main dish. Christina looked up all the names of the food! Their menu is online. She saved some time and energy for lazy me. Don't you love copy and paste? ^_^



APPETIZER: Bali Island sampler with Otak-Otak (grilled fishcake in banana leaf), Risoles (meat & veggie crepe), Pastel (meat, veggie, & egg in pastry), & Kroquet (deep-fried potato with meat & veggie). ENTREE: Sate Ayam (Chicken satay with anchovy-peanut sauce).
DRINKS: I got
Es Manga (mango iced drink) and Jeannie got Es Teler (avocado, jackfruit, palm seed, coconut, milk, & syrup).

The food was really yummy! I wasn't expecting it to be that good! I think my favorite foods were the ristoles, pastels, and the anchovy peanut sauce (I smothered that stuff all over plain rice!). The satay was actually pretty tasty. My drink wasn't so shabby either. It doesn't top the barley seed lime drink from New Malaysia though. I will never forget how good that drink was. Someday I will devote an entire entry to that drink, that's how yummy it was! Man...now I wanna go back there. Ooh maybe Ann and I can go there next week, it's so close to our houses!



Anyhoo, another nice meal with my Rieber roomie! :)

1 comment:

Christina :) said...

hahaha youre rambling on about the words you learned before you were 10 that stuck with you forever JUST because i laughed at indescript :P good times. im glad we tried something new. it was funny as hell when i walked out & saw that "bali island" was written by marker and taped to the glass door. hahaha no wonder you never noticed this place before! can you say ghetto? :P at least when we left we werent the only ones there! and for the record, indonesia is a part of southeast asia... its south & east of VN. hahahaha. i hope you knew that much :P