Saturday, February 9, 2008

Yes, I Do Other Things Besides Eating and Cooking

The days when I was able to read for more than 30 minute stretches at a time (i.e last quarter when I had easy classes) are now quite rare. Lately I'm lucky if I get to read 15 min straight before 1) the bus comes (I can't read in a moving vehicle so I like to read while waiting at the bus stop), 2) I fall asleep, and/or 3) I have to get back to school/work. For this quarter my reading has mainly consisted of articles on nutrition, social marketing, health care disparities, and global health issues. But no matter how busy I get with work/school/personal life, I always try to have a book on hand for the snatches of downtime that I get despite my full schedule. This is a sampling of what I've read the last couple months:

1. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
Anthony Bourdain is such a bad ass! I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I learned a lot about the restaurant/food industry. A must read if you enjoy his show on the Travel Channel/are a foodie.
2. Heat by Bill Buford
This is about his experiences while working in Mario Batali's kitchen for a year. It's a good insider's view about what goes on in and out of the kitchen. I learned a lot about pasta and Italy. I got so hungry while I was reading it.
3. Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
I'm sure everyone's heard about this book by now. It's excellent, and I can't believe I waited this long to read it! I admit, this book sat on my shelf for months because I didn't want to read about anything depressing, and I kept pushing it down my queue. But I'm glad I finally got to it, now I recommend it to everyone.
4, 5, 6. Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof by Emily Giffin
Something Borrowed is told from the POV of a girl who sleeps with her best friend's fiance on her 30th bday, and Something Blue is told from the POV of the best friend. Baby Proof alludes to same characters, but focuses on another couple who disagree on having children. I love to read chick lit, and Emily Giffin dishes it so deliciously! (Sheesh, I sound like a promo). I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of her books, and I'm looking forward to her next book.
7. Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicolo Kraus
These are the same authors who wrote The Nanny Diaries and Citizen Girl. I love their writing style! “What if your ex-boyfriend was famous and adored by millions? What would you do if you had the chance to make him regret his entire existence? How much would you risk?
That's on the sleeve lining, and the story about how the main character deals with her famous ex is very good!
8. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
I actually read this book for fun during the early days of college and recently had to read it again for one of my classes. I even had to do a book report, and not the fun kind either where all you do is list the characters and draw pictures. No, this time I had to critique and review it, and it kind of sucks the fun out of reading. Either way, it is an excellent story and I highly recommend it to everyone. It's about a Hmong girl who has epilepsy and the struggles between her parents and her American doctors when it came to providing care and managing her health.
9. Wall and Piece by Banksy
This compilation features collections from some of Banksy's best street art works. Banksy is awesome! Speaking of which, LAist found of some of his artwork yesterday.
Next on my queue:
Diary of a Mad Mom to Be by Laura Wolf
Working Fire by Zac Unger
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

No comments: