Sunday, April 12, 2009

An Ideal Day

Though the practice of lazying around seems universally ideal, it can get boring for me personally. My ideal day off consists of a combination of good food, rest, and a sense of accomplishment of something, whether setting out to buy an item on a list, doing something outdoorsy, being able to hang out with a friend, or tackling whatever needs to be done around house, etc. I've gone stir crazy sitting on my butt all day surfing the web, and I'm determined to make my days off more balanced and diverse. Today was a good example of that!

In the morning we woke up and realized we had a good 3.5 hours to go before Onami opened, so we surfed the web. After a few clicks I was done already, since there was nothing of interest really in my google reader. So I went and got the Sunday paper and since it was Easter there were no ads to browse through so I read the other sections and finished quite quickly. We didn't want to eat breakfast since we were saving our tummies for the buffet, so we were trying to decide how to kill the next 3 hours (yes all the above took less than half an hour!). Jerry came up with a good idea to start prepping our bathroom for painting. We bought paint ages ago but haven't had time to tackle the upstairs bathroom as of late. Thankfully, that took up a good chunk of our time, and I was distracted enough to forget that I was super hungry. Prepping is the hardest part of painting I think. But if done correctly, it makes painting go even faster and smoother, so it's definitely worth it to be extra careful. After we finished masking off everything (the bathroom has so many nooks and crannies!), it was time to go!

We got to Onami before it opened at 11:30 and it was already full of people with the same idea! We looked at the reservations board while we waited, and at 12:30, they were expecting a party of 55. Yeah, fifty five! Crazy. Anyways, we got seated really quickly (and in the middle room, which is ideal hehe). Though we made multiple trips with stacked plates, we staggered breaks in between in order to pace ourselves and not let our eyes be bigger than our tummies. We also limited our water intake. Hehe, is it lame to have tactics at buffets? Not for us! We managed to leave 2 hours later very stuffed, but not in pain haha. A good $40 well spent. I think we ate almost one of every roll there. I myself had at least 20 pieces, and 2 HUGE handrolls (which Jerry helped me out on). We didn't bother with stuff like fried rice or chow mein or miso soup. My rule of thumb is, eat something I can't make or is too high maintenence to make (like tempura shrimp- this guy had them piled on his plate like they were french fries). I had two servings of the green tea ice cream though. Yum!! The rest of the food was okay, just what you would expect at an AYCE place. I dunno why ppl on Yelp bash AYCE places for not having quality sushi. It's all you can eat ppl! Quantity over quality! If you wanted high end quality, go somewhere else! Some people can be so snobby. Oh, but the Angus beef was delicious. That item was of better quality than what could be expected at a buffet. Okay, enough about food, because I'm still full.

So we came home and immediately had an onset of food coma. I then proceeded to take the best 2 hour nap in recent memory. It was a deep and delicious sleep. What did I dream of? Eating at Onami! I swear, I'm not making this up! :)

So after I finally woke up (Jerry woke up about 20 min before me), we finally got to paint the bathroom. It was just the right amount of activity to help me start digesting my food. I was still too full to workout, and sitting passively wasn't my idea of fun either, so I'm glad we could jump right into painting. I'll spare the details for another post with pictures when we're done with touch ups and such.

Then, after high fiving each other for a job well done (we are such dorks!), we then proceeded to watch two of our favorite recorded shows, Hell's Kitchen and Amazing Race. Hints of hunger were starting to emerge, so apples and frozen grapes hit the spot. After that, we still weren't done being productive! Jer helped me finish my taxes, and I cleaned up the room. Whew, what a day!! I'm looking forward to more days like this! I just got a crazy idea to paint or stain the bannisters...so we'll see how that goes!

What's your ideal day off?

No comments: