Monday, February 23, 2009

Credit Scores

Over the wknd, I got some bad news. Jerry decided to run a credit report check on me since I had been getting these weird notices from collection agencies and we found that my credit score was highly compromised by another Jeannie Nguyen- or maybe more than one Jeannie Nguyen! I was so upset and worried. Every since my first credit card at 18, I have been very diligent about not spending more than what I have. I've never missed a payment and have always paid in full and on time- I have absolutely no credit card debt. So imagine my surprise when the printer spits out over a dozen pages of bogus charges and payments (in bad standing) that I supposedly owe. They were for places like Sears (I never stepped into the store until after I started dating Jer b/c he likes to buy tools there), HSBC (I've been a BofA customer since I was in HS!), Walmart, Abercrombie and Fitch, etc etc. In the section of accts in good standing, I recognized all those accts as mine. In 2005 or 2006, I ran a credit report check on myself and I was completely clean then. I can't believe in a period of a few years could someone else fuck up my credit as badly as it is now. :( Jer says that maybe my acct got merged with someone elses and that it should be fixable. On the credit report, we noted that some of the addresses didn't match mine- there were addresses in Texas, Louisiana, SD, etc. I hope we can remedy this soon! I have to clear my name and my credit. We both agree this will be devastating when it comes time to apply for loans for houses- so I need to fix it soon. We already started the paperwork...wish me luck!

What steps do you take to protect your credit?

In other good news:
1. It's week 8- just 3 weeks to go!
2. Planning a trip to DC/NYC in the spring- any food recommendations? DC I haven't really been able to explore food wise. As for NYC, I've been to Lombardi's, Nyonya, Joe's Shanghai, Rice to Riches, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Egg Custard King Cafe, a yummy dessert place in Little Italy, Carnegie Deli, Dos Caminos, and this Korean to-go place called Worijip. And some other places that I don't remember.
3. Picked out a setting I loooooove...now trying to decide if its best to buy direct or to have it made.
4. Applying to jobs...hoping I get interviews! Hiring freezes suck. =X
5. Made kabocha/pork bone soup from scratch, yummy!
6. Going to see Taylor Swift in concert!

My to-do list:
1. Clear my credit!
2. Find a job
3. Apply for Amazing Race- yes we're boring but I want to try out anyway! Who has a camera we can borrow??
4. Catch up on blogs- mine and others. I star them in my googlereader to read later...but then I never get back to it. I also have a ton of other things I want to write about.
5. Melt my muffin top from its current Costco sized proportions
6. Sort out years of packratted stuff since I will be going back to having a roommate :)

I love lists, I want this: http://www.amazon.com/Listography-Journal-Your-Life-Lists/dp/0811859088

1 comment:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That sucks. Do you know you get a free credit report each year from freecreditreport.com? One free report from each of the three agencies. I check all three since some have different info from the others. I do that every year to monitor my account.

Should be easy to sort out since the other Jeannies are in different states. And you can prove it with social security numbers.

If it's a simple mix-up, then it should be easy to sort out. If it's credit fraud, then put an alert on your account so it'll be harder for others to steal your identity.

I want to do the Amazing Race too. With my sister, but I think it would do a number on our relationship. That competition is too much pressure.