Monday, May 25, 2009

"Homeless People Take a Shower in This!"

I had a really weird conversation today while walking to the Washington Monument. This is after seeing a lady pick up her dog to drink out of the water fountain:

Me: Hey that's not very sanitary! (half to the lady, half to Jer)
Her friend: You're not very sanitary!
Me: (Looks at Jerry in disbelief, what did she just say?!)
Me: Would you use your dog's toothbrush to brush your own teeth?!
The lady: Homeless people take a shower in this! (she basically screams this at our backs while we're walking down the path and everyone in the vicinity can totally hear her, haha!)

Jer and I looked at each other and were like WHAT?! Did they really say those things? And since when is it cool to let a DOG drink out of a HUMAN water fountain? That's why they invented dog water dishes and didn't make water fountains at dog level. Sheesh.

So anyways, though I really like dogs and we will probably get a family dog(s) someday, I will never quite understand why some people treat their dogs better than children. Clothing, pet insurance, and drinking out of a water fountain? Sanitary or not, lines have to be drawn.

No comments: