Wednesday, April 30, 2008

SD Fooding


Let me explain this picture. I was cranky from extraORDINARY Desserts, and I was tired so on the way back to the hotel room the worker opens the door for me. Except for some reason I kept walking and walked straight into the glass. Ouch! I usually get tunnel vision when I'm upset or cranky. Anyways I was hurt/embarrassed but Jer was highly amused. The next morning he made me reenact it so he could take a picture.
Okay, so for part 3 of his bday, we went to SD. Basically to eat. Oh and we went to Balboa Park and the Carlsbad Flower Fields. But mostly we ate.

Seared ahi tuna

Swordfish? I don't remember

Fries were good!
I would definitely recommend this place! Check their hours before you go though...sometimes they open later than posted.
Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill
3667 India St
San Diego, CA 92103
619.497.0914

We also ate at Saffron Chicken. It was okay.
For dinner we had Japanese. After Joshua Tree I swore I wouldn't eat another kebab for a year...but oh well. Things I do to appease the bday boy. :)

L to R, each row: Shu mai (sour for some reason), chicken hearts (yummy!), panko oyster (ewwww, after eating this I think I prefer raw oysters)
Bacon wrapped asparagus (tasty!), chicken meatball (I like!), shittake mushrooms with bonito flakes (ewww, but Jer liked it)
Pork shiso (apparently popular but I thought it tasted okay), the cooks/grillers, finished!

I would come back here, but not for a long time. I still don't crave grilled foods. Korean bbq doesn't count. :P
Yakitori Yakyudori
3739 6th Ave
(between Evans Pl & Pennsylvania Ave)
San Diego, CA 92103
619.692.4189

For dessert we went to Extraordinary Desserts. There is nothing extraordinary about this place! In fact I hate this place and I should have listened to Jer when he said it wasn't that good. But I wanted to see for myself. First, I don't mind the that the line is long, but it's not well executed. You stand in line forever, but then you get like 30 seconds to decide what you want b/c the register is BEFORE the cakes. What? Poor design! And the area around the cakes and register is hella crowded. Okay so we order. Then I went to pee. Turns out the restroom is back in the alley area next to the kitchen where the dishes were being washed, NEXT TO the trashcans. So I had to stand in a line...smelling the lovely trash while listening to the banging of dishes and water. I have no problem with this if the food has a C rating and dirt cheap (like Chinese places). But uh...the owner charges 10 bucks for a slice of cake and this is how she treats her customers? Okay, so the bathroom is really dirty too, but whatever. I go pee. Then I come back to our table and proceed to eat. Disappointment from first bite! This is not tiramisu. Way too sweet, way too dense, way too much chocolate. Don't call it tiramisu if you don't use mascarpone cheese, espresso, or ladyfingers! Ugh!! Okay this was over 2 weeks ago but I'm still mad. Whatever.

"tiramisu" (NOT)
I am not going to go back here ever again.

Okay, so next day we had brunch at the Broken Yolk Cafe. It was okay.
Later we finally went to Brodard. It was yummy!

Their spring rolls with the special sauce. Wandering Chopsticks talks about their spring rolls here.

La Jolla.

Fun wknd!

2 comments:

Mstic said...

i really like the collage. very clear photos, good job!!

Jerry said...

great mini-trip. that collage of yakatori is fantastic!